Earlier this week we took it upon ourselves to transplant a climbing rose that was originally in a dim corner of the front yard with no real means for vertical growth…except outwards, whacking on our way up the front steps! An afternoon of hacking, sawing, pruning, and yanking and we had a new spot for our rose.
But there, in the middle of the Japanese honeysuckle was one sad, overwhelmed tree. While cutting it down, we were mindful to set aside any long, thin branches that might make for good trellises before trimming the rest down for firewood. And while we did not find as many suitable branches as we had hoped, Elizabeth set to work on making one trellis for the peas. Now we just need two more!